We have developed this policy because we want you to feel confident about the privacy and security of your personal information.
Who We Are
Sheridan Computers provides a range of products and services, including communications, networked IT and consultancy services to address the needs of major corporations, governments and multi-site global organisations.
When we refer to “we” or “our” or “Sheridan Computers” we are referring to Sheridan Computers Limited and its subsidiaries, or any of them, as the context requires.
We have developed this policy because we want you to feel confident about the privacy and security of your personal information. Sheridan Computers is registered under the data protection laws in the United Kingdom and takes all reasonable care to prevent any unauthorised access to your personal information.
What personal information do we collect about you, and when do we collect it?
We may ask you for information to enable us to provide a service to you and we collect this information by telephone, written correspondence or via a website. We may ask you for information including your name, private/business address, contact telephone numbers and email address. We may also ask you for other information that relates to the service you are using or ordering. For example, we may need your credit card number to charge you for certain services.
- If you enter into any of our competitions or promotions, we may ask for information about you, which will be made clear at the time you enter. We will also inform you of the purposes for which the information you provide may be used.
- We may ask you from time to time about what use you make of the services we provide, what other services you would like us to provide in the future, and for other information, such as lifestyle data.
- We collect information from visitors to our websites to help us to make improvements to the websites and to the services we make available. We know, for instance, how many visitors there are to each website, when they visited, for how long and to which areas of our website they went. We may share this information with our advertisers and to other companies which offer their goods or services on our websites. It helps to show these organisations how effective our websites are as sales channels for their products. You or any other individual cannot be identified from the information we share as the data is aggregated and anonymised.
We do not use this information to:
- identify individuals visiting our website; or
- analyse your visits to any other websites (except that we do track you if you go to websites carrying our banner, but we do not identify personal details while we do this); or
- track any Internet searches which you may make while on our website.
What personal information do we collect about you from other companies and organisations?
- What personal information do we collect about you from other companies and organisations?
- Please note that when you order goods and services from Sheridan Computers we may make enquiries about you for credit reference purposes. These enquires include searching your records held by Experian / Equifax or any other credit reference agency and checking any details held on you by the Interactive Media in Retail Group (IMRG) Security Alert or any other fraud prevention scheme. At all times where your information is disclosed to us we will protect it in accordance with this policy and keep it secure.
Do we share your personal information with anyone else?
We may share your personal information with other companies so that they can contact you with details of other products or services you may be interested in. We will only do this if you have agreed to this and where the companies agree to use your personal information for that purpose only. If you have agreed to receive information about products and services from another company and later decide not to you will need to contact that company yourself to let them know. You can of course ask us not to continue to provide your personal information to any more companies in future.
We may provide information, in response to properly made requests, for the purposes of the prevention and detection of crime, and the apprehension or prosecution of offenders. We may also provide information for the purpose of safeguarding national security. In either case we do so in accordance with the Data Protection Act. We also provide information when required to do so by law, for example under a court order, or in response to properly made demands, under powers contained in legislation.
If there is a change (or prospective change) in the ownership of Sheridan Computers or any of its assets, we may disclose personal information to the new (or prospective) owner. If we do so, we will require them to keep it confidential.
If you believe the personal information we hold on your is incorrect you may amend it by following the procedure set out below in “How can I change the personal information Sheridan Computers holds about me?”
For how long does Sheridan Computers keep personal information?
The time period for which we keep information varies according to what the information is used for. In some cases, there are legal requirements to keep data for a minimum period. Unless there is a specific legal requirement for us to keep the information, we will retain it for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the data was collected or for which it is to be further processed.
How do we protect your data when it is transferred out of Europe?
Countries in the European Economic Area (EEA) are required to have a similar standard of protection of personal data but this is not always the case in countries outside of the EEA. We do sometimes transfer data outside the EEA but before doing so take steps to ensure that your data will be given adequate protection as required by the Data Protection Act.
How can I find out what personal information Sheridan Computers holds about me?
If you want specific information ie.:
- copies of fault reports
- copy invoices
then you must contact Customer Services.
If you are asking for a full subject access request then put your request in writing, enclosing a cheque for £10 made payable to Sheridan Computers Limited, Stanley House, 7 Monsall Road, Manchester, M40 8FY.
You will also need to provide the following information so that we can process your request:
- The relevant account number/s
- The relevant telephone number/s
- The relevant address/s
If you have any information such as reference numbers, dates and times of contact then please include them in your request.
(Sheridan Computers does record some calls for Quality and Training purposes, however, not all calls are recorded. Calls are only held for a short period of time. If you want a call recording it is essential that you provide the information requested above, otherwise we will not be able to proceed with your request)
Once we have all the relevant information we will process your request within the 40 day time limit allowed under the terms of The Data Protection Act.
How can I change the personal information Sheridan Computers holds about me?
If the information we hold about you is inaccurate, please let us know and we will make the necessary amendments and confirm that these have been made.
How can I manage Sheridan Computers’ contact with me for marketing purposes?
You may choose not to receive marketing information from Sheridan Computers and, if you are already receiving such information from us, you can ask us to stop at any time. If you would like Sheridan Computers not to call or mail you with details of products, services and special offers, please call 0800 030 4523 or contact your Account Manager.
How do we protect your personal information?
We are serious about guarding the security of your personal information and the details of any transactions made. We take appropriate organisational and technical security measures to protect your data against unauthorised disclosure or processing. We use a secure server to store the information you give us when you register or make an order (including your credit card details and your password). Any personal data you send us on-line is securely encrypted.
Any credit/debit card details taken by phone are not stored, you will need these each time you polan an order.
A “cookie” is a text file which is allocated by our server to your personal computer (PC) when you visit areas of our website. If you want to know more about cookies please go to www.allaboutcookies.org which explains how cookies work and how you can manage their use. We use “cookies” to collect information from visitors to our websites and registered customers.
Our servers use two different types of cookies. The first type is known as a “session-based” cookie and is allocated to your PC only for the duration of your visit to our website. It helps you to move around the website faster. This cookie automatically expires when you close down your browser.
The second type of cookie known as a “persistent” cookie is allocated to your PC only if you agree by selecting the “Remember me” function. This cookie, if chosen, will remain on your PC for a period of time.
This cookies allows us to:
- welcome you as an individual when you log on to our website
- limit how often you see particular advertisements or announcements on our website
- identify your defaults if you have set up a customised homepage
- provide you with relevant self-help information
- track where you have come from if you have come to our website from another website
- track how many times you visit a page or advertisement
Please note that as the cookie is based on your PC, we will not find it if you visit our websites using a different PC to the one you registered on.
How to disable cookies?
All types of cookies can be removed from your PC but there may be some deterioration in the service you receive (for example, you may receive many pop up boxes containing the same advertisements or you may not be able to access a page you earlier personalised).
Your browser lets you choose whether to accept, not to accept or to be warned before accepting cookies. These settings can be found in the advanced preferences
In Internet Explorer 6 select: Tools menu / Internet options / Privacy
In Netscape 7.1 select: Edit menu / Preferences / Privacy and Security / Cookies
In Firefox select: Tools menu / Options / Privacy / Cookies
For removing the “Remember me” cookie, just untick the box when you sign in.
Are third party sites covered by this policy?
Other companies which advertise or offer their products or services on our website may also allocate cookies to your PC. The types of cookies they use and how they use the information generated by them will be governed by their own privacy policies and not ours.